Pages

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

two ways to organize your kitchen


1.
Label transparent glass storage jars by letter-etching the labels. It just looks so neat and clean, doesn't it? 

Tutorial, photo, and idea found here.

As for the storage jars, I have these from Ikea. I love them because they're inexpensive and durable (according to all the times I've dropped them and they haven't shattered... and the lids have clung on amid the impact). The lids are also attached, which makes cooking somehow more orderly. You don't waste time trying to re-match and locate lids during the post-mixing clean-up. Plus, they just look good.

2.
Now, are you ready for the simplest idea ever?
Store plastic grocery bags in empty paper towel and wrapping paper tubes.

This has been a major space-saver for our pantry. Plus, it gives those empty rolls another purpose before they're recycled. It's like thrice recycling.

Idea via Cooks Illustrated (i.e. the-best-magazine-ever)


7 comments:

  1. Hmmm...The plastic bag storage idea IS unique...and easily do-able! Thanks, Girl-Child:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this one Courtney. Yes, the jars look great. Old fashioned yet cleanly modern.

    Like the storage tip in the paper towel tubes too.

    So, I quit getting Cook's Illustrated because of a letter he wrote about the neighbor clobbering bats. I love bats, we need bats, and they have enough problems without flip comments about whacking them.

    Sending love across the miles, and "Pieces of a Jekyll Island wedding" yummy,

    Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some IKEA canisters-- mine are the kind with the aluminum lid-- that I LOVE. I adore this idea-- I've always been afraid of glass etching-- the inner perfectionist is frightened of irreversable errors. You make me want to give it a whirl despite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. GO FOR IT!!!! It's easy the way they lay it out...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just have one huge glass jar of flour on my counter for all of my baking-- I'll have to look into other canisters to join it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Morning! Just a reminder to take off my old and put up my new on your blog list, Girl-Child;)
    Lug, Mug

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the plastic bag idea! I also use those paper towel rolls in my boots to keep their shape. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for Blogger