Pages

Friday, September 25, 2009

engaging the elements of visual art and language

I'm looking forward to a lazy weekend and flipping through this magazine.

It just seems to have a little bit of everything,

with a lot of grace and charm and warmth,


and some amazing images that really give you a sense of place:
























I can't wait to find out if the writing is as good as the visual appeal.
Judging from the Table of Contents, the articles seem to range from:
Croquet to
The Nature of Dove Hunts to
Gardeners and Gardening to
Quaint Towns to
Authors to
Fireflies to
Compasses to
Picnic Boats to
Artists and their Art to
The Perfect Desk to
Architecture to
Bikes to
Dancing to
and, of course, to Scuppernongs.
I can't wait.


11 comments:

  1. Scuppernongs...hmmm I guess that's my vocab word for the day. I suppose I'll have to think of a sentence to use it in too :)

    Enjoy...your weekend - AND your magazine!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a lovely, relaxing weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm interested in the article about Thomasville, GA...we drove through there and thought it was worth another trip! Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all you commenters! I love reading your comments...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate~

    Here's a link to the Thomasville article:
    http://gardenandgun.com/article/quail-country

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reynolds Price writing about Eudora Welty would be worth the price of the subscription. I'm going to look for it. Great photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was interested in that one, too! I need to check the archives...

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have to say: this magazine hurts me, in deep ways. Maybe it's the title?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Define "hurts". As in, sentimental or as in, memories of the deer episode on your father's land?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope the magazine was as interesting as it looks. I was taken by the photo of the little white house near the row of trees....would like to live there, with a big garden!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "hurts" as in it seems (on the surface, and I know this is a broadly unfair/sweeping analysis) to fulfill every stereotype that the world has about southerners...and I spend a great deal of time trying to convince people that "no, Alabama and the South is not ALL Forest Gump and Sweet Home Alabama and rednecks with mullets, confederate flags, slaves and guns".
    that's all. I do give their photography credit though, splendid.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for Blogger