Pages

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

book sculptures





I've had such a good time perusing Su Blackwell's book sculptures and commercial designs.
She says she, "often work(s) within the realm of fairy-tales and folk-lore,"
and she certainly captures those realms in her pieces. Each one is equally wrought with enchantment, thrills, and pixie dust. I love the way she portrays the illusion of movement.

Speeking of stories, did you read Island of the Blue Dolphins growing up? Yesterday, I read the 1880 account the story is based on. It's not long. Find it here if you're interested.


3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness-those book sculptures are MAGICAL. I am so happy that you introduced me to her work. Thank you!

    Yes, Island of the Blue Dolphins was very important to me. I lived in So. California and visited the island and also the Santa Barbara Mission where she is buried somewhere. I've read the book about half a dozen times. One of my very favorites.

    Thanks again dear,

    Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just beautiful. I love how old books can be recycled into ART!

    happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are A-MAZING!!! I want one sitting on my coffee table :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for Blogger