Pages

Thursday, December 16, 2010

scattering profiles: pumphouse studios



I found these bird plates in a shop called,
I immediately clicked on the profile thinking, this shop name has to have a story!
And it does.
This artist's story is so beautifully written, I have to share it verbatim....


My mother was a potter and art teacher. Under her influence I grew up making art, but concentrated on the written word in school, eventually earning a PhD in literature in 1994. That same year my mom died from breast cancer, leaving me her well-used wheel, kiln, and a series of mysterious glaze recipes. It took nearly ten years and several moves later to see what I had inherited. I found myself in Southern Oregon, teaching literature but connecting with a group of ceramic artists who showed me how to shape the fog of grief into the delight of working with clay. During those years, my studio was a 6X6 foot pumphouse where I worked every spare moment, making pots and competing with the pump and waterlines for space. My kiln was outside. As a result, I like to say that my apprenticeship in ceramics was literally affected by the rolling of the seasons and the events of the natural world around me.




I think these three would look superb hanging together.



4 comments:

  1. I LOVE THESE! Thanks so much for introducing me to her work. And, I loved her words, about shaping grief. So wonderful.

    Joys to you,

    Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so lovely-- I lost my own grandmother last Christmas, but I would buy her the hummingbird one if she were still with us-- they were her favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad y'all enjoyed them... I would hang them in my dining room year-round myself. I think their so rustically charming. And her story makes them all the more attractive. I love the phrase "a series of mysterious glaze recipes..."

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for Blogger